Last Updated on March 28, 2021 by Inaam
Bitcoin Statistics 2021
This post contains some of bitcoin’s most comprehensive statistics on the Internet. Not surprisingly, bitcoin is the most popular cryptocurrency in the world. To collect these statistics and present them in a simple way, we did our own research and collected data from other sources as well. Here is what we found about Bitcoin.
- From January 2017 to February 2021, the value of Bitcoin has increased by 3877%.
- The bitcoin market cap is over $660B with 4121% growth from 2017.
- Compared to the GDP of all countries, the bitcoin market cap is higher than the GDP of 85 countries.
- Compared to the GDP of each country, the bitcoin market cap exceeds the GDP of 170 countries.
- There are 18.63M bitcoins in circulation. (Statista)
- There are 67.46M blockchain wallet users worldwide. (Statista)
- 6.2% of Americans own bitcoin. 7.3% of them plan to buy some. (Cryptoradar)
- 85.77% of the bitcoin community are males. Only 14.23% are females. (Coin.dance)
- People aged around 25-34 years are most interested in bitcoin. (coin.dance)
- 62.53% of bitcoin searches are from a desktop. (coin.dance)
- China mines 65.08% of bitcoins in the world. (Statista)
- Binance is the most popular bitcoin exchange in the world. (similarweb)
- Binance is the only corrupt exchange to trade 3 trillion USDT. (Binance)
- There are 14915 bitcoin ATMs in the world. (Statista)
- 89% of all bitcoin ATMs are located in North America. (Statista)
- Genesis coin manufactures 38.4% of all bitcoin ATMs in the world. (Statista)
- 23% of ATMs offer a “buy and sell” option. (coinatmradar)
- 77% of ATMs offer the “Buy Only” option. (Coinatmradar)
- Nigeria is the world’s most interesting country in bitcoin. (Google Trends)
- Bitcoin has a 62.32% share of the total cryptocurrency market. (coin.dance)
- Etherium is the second most popular cryptocurrency in the world with a 14.04% share of the market. (coin.dance)
- People of the United States visit bitcoin exchanges more than any other country in the world. (Similerweb)
- The US has the most bitcoins in the world. Followed by Russia and Nigeria. (Statista)
Bitcoin Price Growth
The value of the bitcoin actually rose in 2017. This has been a great year for Bitcoin. Bitcoin earned a price it hadn’t earned in its first seven years. The next year, 2018 was not so good for bitcoin. This year went against people’s expectations when the price of bitcoin fell, which really frightened investors around the world. But perhaps this was the last blow to the bitcoin, after which the bitcoin did not look back. It has now crossed the 50K mark.
Bitcoin Market Capitalization
The bitcoin market cap is 40 times higher than it was in 2017. Market cap is calculated by multiplying the number of bitcoin in circulation and the price of bitcoin. The bitcoin market cap was 15.66 B dollars in 2017. Which grew by 4121% to 661B dollars in 2021.
Some Interesting Facts About Bitcoin:
If the bitcoin market is compared to the GDP of all countries, it is more than the GDP of 85 countries.
If the bitcoin market is compared to the GDP of each country separately, it is more than the GDP of 170 countries.
Number Of Bitcoin In Circulation
in Feb 2021, there are 18.63M bitcoins in circulation.
Number Of Blockchain Wallet Users
67M active wallet users in different countries show the popularity and interest of people in bitcoin.
Who Own Bitcoin In America?
In 2018, Only 2% of American investors owned bitcoin. But that wasn’t the case in 2019. The largest bitcoin ownership survey reveals 6.2% of Americans own bitcoin, while 7.3% are planning to buy some.
Bitcoin Engagement By Gender
Looking at Google’s analytics data, coin.dance found that 85.77% of those interested in bitcoin are men. Women, on the other hand, are less interested in bitcoin with 14.23%.
Bitcoin Engagement By Age
It is no surprise that bitcoin is the currency of the new generation. If we look at the chart provided by coin.dance, 41.35% percent are youngsters aged around 25-34. On the second number, people aged around 35-44 are most interested in bitcoin.
Bitcoin Interest By Countries
Nigeria, Africa’s growing economy, is one of the most interesting countries in bitcoin. 4th on the list is South Africa.
Bitcoin Engagement By Device Type
Despite mobile being the first and easiest choice, most people (62.53%) use desktops to access information, buy and sell bitcoin. This data was collected by coin.dance from Google analytics. 34.45% use their smartphones to buy, sell and research bitcoin.
Countries That Mine The Most Bitcoin
China tops the list of countries that mines the most bitcoins. China mines 65% of bitcoin in the world. Followed by America with only 7.24% and Russia 6.9%.
Most Popular Bitcoin Exchanges By Visits
Binance is the most popular bitcoin exchange in the world. It gets 136.06 Million visitors on their global website only. Coinbase is the second most popular exchange in the world with 58.09 million visitors monthly.
Most Popular Bitcoin Exchanges By Volume
According to Binance, they have reached the 3 trillion USDT trading volume on their platform. Which is higher than any other exchange in the world. Even no other exchange has reached to 1 trillion USDT limit till feb 2021.
Number Of Crypto ATMs
America is leading the way in the number of bitcoin ATMs in the world. They have 89% of total crypto ATMs in the world.
Crypto ATM Share BY Manufacturer
Genesis coin, an American company manufactures the most bitcoin ATMs in the world with 38.4%. General bytes is second on the list with 27.1% share of the market.
Bitcoin Price Vs Bitcoin Search Volume
Data from Semrush shows that the price of bitcoin attracts interest in the people. Whenever the bitcoin price increases, more people search for bitcoin. And they both are going hand in hand.
ATM For Buy And Sell
only 23% of ATMs provide the option of both buying and selling bitcoin. On the other hand, 77% of ATMs are operating for buy only.
Bitcoin Community Interests- Who is more interested?
The chart below shows the interest of bitcoin in the community.
Bitcoin Price Market Share
By comparing bitcoin with other cryptos currencies, coin.dance found that bitcoins accounted for 62% of the total cryptocurrency market. Ethereum is the world’s second most popular digital currency with a market share of 14.04%.
Bitcoin Engagement By Gender -China
The bitcoin community engagement in China is a little different from the rest of the world. Longhash found that 81.07% of those interested in bitcoin are men in China. Women, on the other hand, are less interested in bitcoin with 18.93%.
Bitcoin Engagement By Age-China
Data from Longhash proves bitcoin to be the currency of the new generation. In China, people aged around 30-39 are most interested in bitcoin.